Happy Tuesday! Halloween is a week away which is crazy and with Halloween comes all the scary movies, jack o-lanterns and Halloween candy. I have a major sweet tooth and am always tempted and usually lured in to eating some of that Halloween Candy. This year I am keeping these tips in mind so I don’t let that candy go to waist!
- When possible, choose ‘Fun Size’ candy bars over regular candy bars. The portion size has already been reduced, decreasing the temptation to eat the entire regular size bar.
- Regular milk chocolate is loaded with sugar. For example Hershey’s milk chocolate only has 11% cacao meaning the rest is filled with fat and sugar. Choose darker chocolate to increase the cacao and decrease the sugar and fat.
- Choose the candy with the nuts. Having candy with nuts like almonds or peanuts increases fiber, healthy fats, and protein.
- Wafer based candies are great options because they take up more space meaning less calories.
- If you have diabetes, stick with the sugar free candy options. There will still be carbohydrates in the candy but the sugar will be from an alternative sweetener.
Tricks or Treats?
- Kit Kat Bar (Fun Size) vs. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup
TRICK Reese’s Peanut Butter cup: 1 piece (0.74 ounce)=105 calories, 6.5 g fat, 12 g carbs, 10.5 g sugar
TREAT Kit Kat: 1 snack-size bar (0.53 ounce)=70 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g carbs, 7 g sugar
- Milk Chocolate M&Ms vs. Almond M&Ms
TRICK Milk Chocolate M&Ms: 1 snack-size bag (21 g)=104 calories, 4.3 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 15 g carb, 13 g sugar
TREAT Almond M&Ms: 1 snack-size bag (21 g)=110 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 12 g carb, 10 g sugar
- Dove Dark Chocolate Miniatures vs. Hershey’s Dark Chocolate with Almonds
TRICK Dove Dark Chocolate Miniatures: 5 pieces= 210 calories, 24 g carb, 19 g sugar
TREAT Hershey’s Dark Chocolate with Almonds: 3 nuggets= 150 calories, 15 g carbs, 12 g sugar
- Caramel Apple Pops vs. Sugar Daddy Pops
TRICK Sugar Daddy Pops: 1 pop= 170 calories, 2 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat. 36 g carb, 24 g sugar
TREAT Caramel Apple Pops: 1 pop (0.6 ounces)=60 calories, 0.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 15 g carb, 10 g sugar
- Starburst Fruit Chews vs. Strawberry Twizzler Twist
TRICK Starburst Original Fruit Chews: 3 fruit chews (0.52 ounce)=60 calories, 1 g fat, 12 g carb, 9 g sugar
TREAT Strawberry Twizzler Twist: 1 regular-sized twist (0.4 ounce)= 40 calories, 9 g fat, 9 g carb, 5 g sugar
- Brach’s Pumpkin Spice Candy Corn vs. Hershey Kisses Pumpkin Spice Flavor
TRICK Hershey Kisses Pumpkin Spice Flavor: 9 pieces: 210 calories, 12g fat, 24g carb,
TREAT Brach’s Pumpkin Spice Candy Corn: 140 calories, 19 pieces, 0g fat, 36g carb
- Hershey’s Candy Corn white chocolate bar (per one mini) vs. Candy Corn m&m’s
TRICK Candy Corn m&m’s: 23 pieces= 220 calories, 11g fat, 29g carbs, 28g sugar
TREAT Hershey’s Candy corn white chocolate bar: 1 mini= 67 calories; 4g of fat; 8g carbs.
What is your favorite Halloween tricks so you can enjoy the treats?