Excitement is in the air. It’s Friday. AND it happens to be payday Friday!!! Whooo hooooo my first paycheck as an actual dietitian. Money in the bank makes me want to go shop. However I will refrain, and wait and treat myself to a trip to DSW after the test.
This morning started with me over sleeping my alarm. Thankfully, I already packed my lunch and made breakfast, all I had to prepare was some seduction bread with almond butter and coffee.
Friday’s tend to be struggle mornings. Lately it requires me to wake only a half hour earlier, but that half hour really makes me struggle. My rooster alarm clock was NOT effective this AM. However I did make it to work by 6:35 with plenty of time to prep before rounds. Luckily for me, the day was not too busy and was able to do a Lunch and Learn on Mushrooms!
Fun facts about mushrooms:
Mushrooms, tomatoes and broccoli are the top 3 most popular veggies consumed by Americans.
Mushrooms are the only fresh fruit or vegetable that has vitamin D!!
Mushrooms have riboflavin, niacin, panthenothenic acid, as well as selenium to help strengthen the immune system!!
What a super food!
I will be 100% upfront and say that recipe is not my own. It is indeed from Morrison food company who provides the management service for the hospital. With that said, this recipe is AMAZING!!!
Here’s the DL…. 240 calories, 29 g of protein, 9 g of fat, 9g carbohydrate and 4 g of fiber. WOW!!
Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ onion chopped
2 scallions, sliced
1 ½ cups canned in water or frozen artichokes (thaw first), chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic or 3 cloves
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup white wine
½ cup crème fraiche
6 chicken breasts or 4 oz
Pepper (and if you need salt) to taste
1. Heat oil in a skillet, Saute the onions, scallions, artichokes, garlic and mushrooms for about 3 minutes or until the onions start to become translucent but don’t burn the garlic.
2. Add lemon juice and wine. Stir well
3. Whisk crème fraiche into the skillet. Bring to a boil then decrease the heat to a simmer. Keep heat low until the chicken is done.
4. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and grill until chicken is done (internal temp. 165F).
5. Plate and serve with ½ cup of sauce
Okay im off to go get ready to meet some friends for some happy Friday drinks!