TBT to when I blogged

Remember when I used to blog more often, typed out insightful witty nutrition info, and would post delicious recipes?? Yeah I’m having a hard time remembering as well. Whoops well guess what… I’mmm baaackkk 🙂 And for this first post back, we’re going to talk about something that is important in the month of August, hydration. I admit I do a horrible job of drinking enough water.  There are days when I have to force myself to drink water. Well, what if I told you you can get hydrated by foods you eat. Kind of a crazy thought, but if you think about it, some foods are kind of a no brainer like watermelon. It literally has water in the name. As shocking as this is, I have had a patient who did not realize that the watermelon he was eating was causing him to go over his fluid restriction. #palmtoforehead #dietitianfail

Anyways you can eat your way to hydration!!! Here’s how!!!

http://fox2now.com/2015/07/23/eat-your-way-to-hydration/#ooid=FndTJndjrjCTMB1WqrNjfSu77zMA9Su9

The deets: The old adage of drinking 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated resonates in many minds, however this myth has been debunked. The Institute of medicine recommends that general fluid intake for men be 15+ cups a day, women 11+ cups a day, children aged 9 to 13 7 to 8 cups of fluid per day, and teenagers aged 14 to 18 8 and 11 cups.

About 80% of our water intake comes from what we drink, while the other 20% comes from what we eat. Choosing foods that are higher in water content can help increase fluid consumption keeping you hydrated and happy.

IMG_0039

Foods to eat:

  • Watermelon

Not surprisingly watermelon is high in water, containing 91.5% water. This fruit also contains lycopene a cancer fighting antioxidant.

  • Cucumbers

This vegetable has the highest water content of any vegetable at 96.7%. in a half of cup of cucumbers ½ of this is water (1/4 cup) and only has 8 calories per ½ cup. Cucumbers also provide vitamin A that helps with eyesight.

  • Celery

Celery is often thought to be the negative calorie food, which isn’t true however it is very low in calories and high in water. It contains 95.4% water and only 6 calories per stalk. Not only is it high in water, it also contains fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, and K.

  • Cantaloupe

Cantaloupe is one of the juiciest melons containing 90.2% water. One 6 ounce serving contains 50 calories and provides your daily needs of vitamin A and C.

  • Various vegetables: bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots

These colorful vegetables each provide >90% water content. Choose green peppers which contain a little bit more water and just as much vitamins and minerals as the other peppers. Cauliflower is full of water and vitamins and nutrients to help fight cancer and lower cholesterol. Broccoli fives the 2 punch of fiber and water, to keep you full and hydrated.

start eating those fruits and veggies!!

xoxo,

Katie

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s