Happy the 11th of July! Doesn’t quite have the same ring as Happy 4th of July, none the less happy birthday. Time for a recap on celebrating America’s birthday last week.
The started the day off with 4 miles on the 4th, some patriotic toast
Then it was time to BBQ!!
Big thanks to Marissa and Spenser for hosting a wonderful party!! This girl knows how to put on a spread of food and her fiance can grill with the best of them. I feel I should have a a dislaimer for the rest of this post; the following recipes are deliciously amazing. Remember it’s okay to have a day where you splurge and enjoy yourself. It’s all about moderation and adapting a healthy lifestyle. Back to independence day ☺
While we prepared apeptizers, sides, and dessert, we sipped on a Firecracker margarita.
4 ounces of Tequila
2 ounces of Triple Sec
16 ounces of La Croix lime Sparking Water
16 ounces of La Croix Lemon Sparkling Water
Handful of blueberries and strawberries.
Mix Pitcher mix 4 tequila, triple sec, lemon and lime sparkling water.
Give it a good stir to mix it up. Add some ice and pour into cups.
Garnish with blueberries and strawberries.
Clearly we did not enjoy the Firecracker Margarita. Along with the margs we enjoyed Red, white, and Antipasto Skewers, Sparkler Strawberries, and, Patriotic pie.
We also added some festive decorations to round out our table.
Paper straws add lots of color and pazazz to any drink and using scrapbook paper makes for festive signs.
The Red, White, and Antipasto Skewers are super easy to throw together for any party. Some tips, use string cheese to get round cheese verse cube cheese. It adds a nice dimension to the skewer. Grape tomatoes and olives are a good, and any type of cured meat will work. I chose Genoa Salami and tried to find the lowest sodium kind possible. Also if your kebob sticks are splintery, soak them in water first, then cut them in half.
Red White, and Antipasto Skewers
1 can black olives
1 container of grape tomatoes
6-8 low fat mozzarella string cheese
¼ pound of genoa salami or cured meat.
1. Cut the kebob skewers in half.
2.Cut the string cheese into ½ inch pieces
3. Add tomatoes, olives, cheese and meat in various order. I added 2 cheeses per stick.
After eating a delicious brat it was dessert time.
These two festive desserts are easy to put together and involve fresh blueberries and strawberries. You can also add raspberries to add some variety.
For the Patriotic Pie we bought Pillsberry sugar cookie to decrease time spent in the kitchen.
Makes 1 12 inch pizza cookie
1 roll/ tube of sugar cookie
4 ounces of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla or to make the frosting more tart use 1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup blueberries
2 cups of sliced strawberries * the amounts of fruit are estimates. I purchased a large container of strawberries and 1 pint of blueberries and did not use all of them.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray pizza pan or cookie sheets with oil.
2. Spread the sugar cookie dough out on the pan, as thin and as close to the edge as possible. The cookie with thicken and spread out as it bakes. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
3. While the cookie bakes, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla or lemon juice until smooth. * soften cream cheese prior to mixing to make it easier to mix. 4. Slice the strawberries into thin slices.
5. Spread the cream cheese frosting on the cookie. Put the blueberries in the upper left corner then create strips with the strawberries leaving space between for the white stripes.
6. Cut and Enjoy!!
The last gem that we made are Sparkler Strawberries. These are absolutely delicious and refreshing strawberries and are easy to make. Trust me, I am not the most crafty person and if I can make them, anyone can. Before we get to a recipe, a quick less on hulling strawberries. Cut off the stems of the strawberries. Then with a ¼ round teaspoon, draw a circle in the middle of the strawberry with the edge of teaspoon
Makes 12 Strawberries
2 ounces of softened
1/3 less fat cream cheese
4 ounces of white chocolate
red, white and blue sprinkles.
1. Rinse and dry strawberries. Remove stems and hull out the center of the strawberry. Slice off a small portion of the end of the strawberry to help it stand up. 2. Melt the white chocolate and dip half the strawberry in the chocolate. Let stand on parchment paper.
3. In a pastry bag or in a zip lock bag, add the cream cheese. Snip off the end of the ziplock bag to use like a pastry bag. While the chocolate is drying, Swirl the cream cheese into the strawberry, sprinkle with sprinkles and stick in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
What I love about these strawberries is that they look super fancy but are really easy to make. If your cream cheese ends up a little lumpy instead of swirly, add more sprinkles and no on will notice 😉
Between the food and the fireworks this 4th will be one to be remembered for quite some time.
It wouldn’t be an Independence day without some sparkler fun!!
What are your favorite dishes to make for BBQ’s or parties???