What to Eat Wednesday II

We made it to Wednesday!!!

I have had an extremely busy last 5-6 days and have lots of recipes and events to share with you! But first, let’s talk about What to Eat Wednesday! This week we are talking about cucumbers!!

cucumberLARGE160112

image found here

Cucumbers are a great vegetable to have on hand at all times. It is full nutrients, very low in calories,  and can help with weight and heart health.

Heart Healthy: contain no saturated fat or cholesterol. Cucumbers are a good source of plant sterols which help decrease cholesterol, as well as containing potassium, magnesium, and fiber which help regulate your blood pressure.

Weight managament: The peel of the cucumber is chalk full of fiber, keeps you full longer as well as helps relieve constipation. It also acts as a diuretic helping get rid of excess fluid as well as helping get rid of toxins from the GI system.

Supports bone health: Cucumbers contain high amounts of vitamin K which aids in bone strength by promoting the continued building of bones.

Hydration helper: It is 95% water , so eating a cucumber will help rehydrate you as well as decreasing puffiness in skin, keeping your skin looking smooth and hydrated.

Cancer fighter: Cucumbers have antioxidants called lignans that can help decrease the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer. It also contains beta carotene, vitamin C, and Vitamin A which help stop free radicals from damaging healthy cells and progression of disease processes.

Here are a few  recipes on how i plan to use cucumbers this week:

Cucumber sandwiches 

Cucumber and watermelon Salad

Cucumber Salsa

xoxo,

Katie

 

 

What to Eat Wednesday

Happy Hump Day!

Today starts a new posting series called What to Eat Wednesday. Each Wednesday a new food will be highlighted as well as how I’m going to use it in a recipe.

This week we are talking about watermelons.

green-watermelon-background-11278587494N8o1

image found here

Watermelon is 92% water. Eating watermelon not only fills us up but also hydrates us, two birds one fruit :).  Watermelon is also full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which is quite a lot packed into the remaining 8% of the fruit.

Watermelon contains a large amount of lycopene, ranking with tomatoes on the lycopene content list. Lycopene helps decrease blood pressure through vasodilation as well as inhibits oxidative stress that can affect the work of bone cells. Allowing these cells to work makes your bones stronger.

Another benefit for your bones is the potassium content in watermelon. Potassium helps your body retain calcium which then can be used to keep your bones strong.  The potassium also keeps with hydration and cramping and in the summer staying hydrated and avoiding muscle cramps is essential.

The vitamin A in watermelon helps your eye sight and helps keep your immune strong by strengthening your white blood cells. Vitamin B6 also aids in keeping your immune system strong by enhancing antibody production, nerve cell function and the formation of red blood cells. Finally vitamin C has long been known as the immune system booster in defense again infections and viruses.

Here’s how I am going to use watermelon this week with 2 stellar recipes:

Watermelon Salad

and the Watermelon Margarita

How are you going to use watermelon this week?

Stay tuned to see how I adapted these recipes to make them even better, until then, enjoy a slice of watermelon!
20140701-212606-77166565.jpg

xoxo,

Katie