Happy day before the 4th of July! I love that I can use food to celebrate a holiday and what screams red, white, and blue more than a yogurt parfait!!
Since this is also a Thursday, how fitting for a #TBT recipe! This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes from my blog, homemade granola.
Original recipe found here. Now this recipe is also near and dear to my heart because my cousin got my uncle to change up some of his eating habits and one of those was breakfast. Since I developed the recipe, he trusted her and had it with yogurt and fell in love. You will too!! I modified this from the original recipe. I was out of brown rice syrup so I swapped that for applesauce. I also used flaxseed instead of wheat germ and a smaller batch. Too much of a good thing is still too much!!
8 servings (about 1/3 cup)
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flaxseed
2 tablespoons Chia Seed
3 tablespoons flax seeds
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup craisins
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (minus the dried fruit)
3. On the stove, hear the oil and brown rice syrup
4. Once the oil and syrup are heated and starting to bubble, pour over the dried ingredients.
5. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake 15-20 minutes. At about 15 minute or right as its starting to turn brown, add the dried fruit and bake for an additional few minutes.
6. Remove from oven once it is golden brown.
7. Let it cool and store in glass jars or Tupperware.
1 serving: 299 calories, 9.6g fat, 1.2g saturated fat, 37.9 g carbohydrate 16mg sodium, 15.2g protein
Now once you’ve made this adding 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup of slice strawberries, and 1/4- 1/3 cup of granola. Layer in a glass or a jar and enjoy!!!
What is your favorite red, white, and blue food to eat on the 4th??