Happy September!! I think I say this almost every month but I can’t believe it’s September! September means football, leaves changing, cooler weather and fall!! I’m pretty excited that fall is around the corner. My basic self is about to emerge: PSL’s boots, scarves, leggings…meme found here
In the spirit of fall, I was craving something for dinner that was fallish but still delicious while it’s 90 degrees here in Saint Louis.
I found this recipe by tablefortwoblog.com and the original recipe can be found here. I tweaked the recipe to have chicken and some sliced jalapeños to add some pop. What I like about this dish: it’s full of vegetables, protein, This is a nice quick meal that can be made in about 20 minutes. Cooking the chicken in advance will help speed up the preparation time. Here is my version of Vegetable and Chicken Stuffed Potatoes.
Vegetable and Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
Makes 1 Potato
1 Large Sweet Potato
1/2 medium zucchini, shredded ( about 1/2-2/3rds cup)
1 medium carrot chopped
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 yellow onion chopped
1 medium chicken breast shredded
Optional sliced jalapeños ( about 1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to season
1. Cook or grill chicken breast
2. Poke potato with a fork 8-10 times. Depending on the size of your potato and your microwave, cook the potato for about 4 minutes. The potato should be soft but not too squishy when you touch it. Once the potato is done, slice potato in half, but do not cut in half.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, heat an oiled skillet and cook the zucchini, mushrooms, and carrots until soft about 10 minutes. Add in the shredded chicken, jalapeños if wanted, and seasonings.
4. Once potato is cool, scoop out about 1/2- 3/4s of the potato and add to skillet.
5. Once potato is evenly mixed, scoop the mixture into the stuffed potato and Enjoy!!
376 calories, 4.2g fat,232, mg sodium, 52.8g carbohydrate, 10.8g fiber, and 34.6g protein
(disclaimer I did not make this recipe I give 100% credit to tablefortwoblog.com and made some minor adjustments)
What are you looking forward to about September?