Homemade Whole Wheat Fig Newtons
Makes 40 cookies
1 1/4th cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup oats (or oat bran)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 tablespoon Fage non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the filling:
2 cups of dried figs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2.5 tablespoons agave nectar
1. Mix together the sugar, butter, Greek yogurt, and agave nectar. Once it is creamed together, add in one egg at a time.
2. Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, and cinnamon. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
3. Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, or as long as you like.
4. While this is cooling, mix together the filling. On the stove in a saucepan, mix the figs and the applesauce and agave nectar. Add a bit of water to make the mixture more wet. Let the filling simmer 15-30 minutes without letting it burn. Let it cool then puree the mixture.
5. Heat the oven to 350F. Roll out the dough into a long thin square. You may need to divide the dough into 2 sections. The dough should be thin. Put half of the filling in the middle of the dough and fold the sides into the middle so the filling is all covered up.
6. Put on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, cool and slice.
Nutrition facts per slice:
79.7 calories, 1.7g fat, 17.2g sodium, 15.4 g protein, 1.5 g protein