Corn Beef and Cabbage
3 pounds of Corn beef. (If you get the spiceless Corn beef you’ll need 2 tablespoons of peppercorns and 2 bay leaves.)
1 medium to large head of cabbage
4-5 large carrots
about 12 small potatoes
water to cover the corn beef ( typically 3-4 cups)
1. Put the corn beef in a dutch oven with spices and juices from packaging. (If no spices add the peppercorns and the bay leaves).
2. Pour beer into pot. Add enough water to cover the corn beef. Put on medium heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer for 2 hours.
3. During the 2 hours, scrub potatoes and cut any bad spots off. If larger potatoes, halve or quarter potatoes, and soak in water until ready to add.
4. Peel turnips quarter turnips and add to water.
5. peel carrots and chop.
6. rinse off cabbage and quarter.
7. After the 2 hours, depending on the meat may take closer to 3 (once it starts getting tender to fork touch, but not falling apart), add potatoes and turnips. Bring heat to a boil then turn down to simmer for another 30 minutes.
8. After 30 minutes add carrots, let simmer for about 20 minutes.
9. After 20 minutes add the cabbage. Let this simmer for about a half an hour. Cabbage should be soft. Meat should be tender falling apart when you fork it.
10. Plate and serve, and enjoy! ( can also leave on low heat until ready to eat!).