Found on smittenkitchen.com
1 large baking potato (1 pound), peeled
1 small onion (4 ounces), peeled
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Peanut oil, for frying
1. In a food processor or on a box grater, coarsely shred the potato and onion. For longer strands, lay the potato sideways in the chute of your food processor.
2. Put in a colander, paper towel, or cheese cloth to dry out. Let stand for 2 minutes, then squeeze dry again.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, egg, salt and pepper together.
4. Stir in the potato onion mixture until all pieces are evenly coated.
5. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until shimmering.
6. Drop packed teaspoons of the potato mixture into the skillet and flatten them with the back of a spoon.
7. Cook the latkes over moderately high heat until the edges are golden, about 1 1/2 minutes; flip and cook until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute.
8. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.